Wednesday, October 8, 2008

The Art of Forgiving By Rabbi Dovid Goldwasser

They asked him, “Who are you? Have you performed any extraordinary or exceptional acts in your life?”

The man was totally perplexed and answered, “I am a simple person. I cannot imagine any reason why these miracles occurred.”

The tanna’im pressured him to think again and reevaluate what deed could possibly have merited such a phenomenon. He said, “There is only one thing I can possibly think of. Before I go to sleep each night, I make sure to pardon any person who may have wronged me in any way or been hurtful to me. In addition, the next day I try to find a favor I can do for that person who wronged me, so that he will perhaps become my friend.”

“Indeed,” replied the tannai’im, “in a way you are even greater than Yosef HaTzaddik. When Yosef’s brothers tried to harm him, he repaid their evil with good, but they were his own brothers, his family. You are repaying good to people who tried to hurt you, and are not even members of your own family.”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a person ! Wow, it's unbelivable, but still it's happend !

Anonymous said...

How could possible one person be so good, and so humble ?
Imagine, every day, not only to forgive, but also to do a mitzva !
Thank You Rabbi to share that story with us.